This post contains compensated links. See our disclosure page for more information.
If you have a large yard or live on acreage cutting grass can take up a huge amount of time. To make your life easier, I have researched what is the best Zero Turn Mower and which mower will suit you best. If you would like to do some more reading on mowing larger areas of grass, I find this website has interesting articles.
It is important when you are making an investment like purchasing a zero turn mower that you choose wisely. Checking zero turn mower reviews and selecting a well known brand are all things that I took into account. I discuss a range of zero turn lawn mowers including the best commercial zero turn mower to the best small zero turn mowers.
- 1 My pick for the Best Zero Turn Lawn Mower – Husqvarna MZ61
- 2 The Best Zero Turn Mower Comparison Chart
- 3 How does a Zero Turn Mower work?
- 4 Different Types of Zero Turn Mowers
- 5 Things to consider when purchasing a Zero Turn Mower
- 6 Zero Turn Mower Buying Guide
- 7 Top 10 Zero Turn Mowers
- 7.1 The Best Zero Turn Lawn Mower: Husqvarna MZ61
- 7.2 Runner Up Best Lawn Mowers Zero Turn: Toro Zero Turn Mower 42 in. with Smart Speed
- 7.3 Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower: Swisher Big Mow 66
- 7.4 Best Residential Zero Turn Mower: Snapper 360z Zero Turn Mower
- 7.5 Best Zero Turn Mower for Hills: Simplicity Contender XT Mower
- 7.6 Best Electric Zero Turn Mower: Ryobi Electric Lawn Mower RY48ZTR100 Zero Turn
- 7.7 Best Zero Turn for the Money: Troy-Bilt Mustang Fit 34
- 7.8 Best Small Zero Turn Mower: Ariens Zero Turn Mower Edge 34 inch
- 7.9 Best Zero Turn Mower Under 3000: Husqvarna Z142 Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 7.10 Cheap Zero Turn Mowers: Mowox Mowers Zero Turn
My pick for the Best Zero Turn Lawn Mower – Husqvarna MZ61
If you don’t have time to read about all of the best zero turn mowers and just want to know the best, a zero turn Husqvarna lawn mower is a great choice. Built to last and has great maneuverability this would be my pick for the best zero turn lawn mower.
The Best Zero Turn Mower Comparison Chart
In this chart we compare zero turn mowers and help you decide what the best rated zero turn mowers are.
|NAME||IMAGE||DECK SIZE||OUR RATING||BUY|
|Husqvarna MZ61||61"||4.8||BUY NOW|
|Toro Zero Turn Mower||42"||4.7||BUY NOW|
|Swisher Big Mow 66||66"||4.7||BUY NOW|
|Snapper 360z||42"||4.5||BUY NOW|
|Simplicity XT Mower||61"||4.5||BUY NOW|
|Ryobi Electric||42"||4.0||BUY NOW|
|Troy Bilt Mustang Fit 34||34"||4.6||BUY NOW|
|Ariens Zero Turn Mower||34"||4.5||BUY NOW|
|Husqvarna 7142||42"||4.6||BUY NOW|
|Mowox Zero Turn||22"||3.8||BUY NOW|
Zero turn mowers get their name from their ability to turn through a zero degree radius. They are quick and easy to use once you get the hang of it! It is important to read the mower manual instructions when the mower arrives, you don’t want to end up in a ditch! Also if you have steep hills that you need cutting a zero turn mower won’t be best for you. Zero turn mowers are not designed to mow on slopes steeper than 15 degrees.
How does a Zero Turn Mower work?
The speed of a zero turn mower is governed by the levers on the mower. When the levers are in neutral the mower doesn’t move forward. It can be a hard concept to grasp but after some practice it is easy. The move the mower forward or backwards all you have to do is push the levers forwards or backwards. How hard you push forward or back will determine the speed of the mower.
Different Types of Zero Turn Mowers
Zero turn lawn mowers come in two categories, residential zero turn mowers and commercial zero turn mowers.
The best commercial zero turn mower are more powerful and can withstand cutting grass for longer periods of time than the best residential zero turn mower. What does need to be factored in is the price. Commercial zero turn mowers are more expensive but do last better than a residential zero turn mower.
Things to consider when purchasing a Zero Turn Mower
The zero turn mower horsepower you need will depend on the size of the area you are trying to mow. A lower horsepower will work for a flat 1 acre area but if you have 2 or more acres, consider going a commercial zero turn mower.
Zero turn lawn mowers are heavy and if you are constantly transporting your mower, consider the weight of the mower you select. Also consider how you will service your mower. You may prefer to get a professional to do it or if you have lifting equipment, you could service the blades yourself.
When mowing larger areas of grass you don’t want to be constantly stopping to refuel the mower. Selecting a zero turn lawn mower with a larger fuel capacity is important. You could also choose an
Cutting Deck size
This determines the width of grass that the mower will cut. It is often tempting to buy the biggest deck size but you will need to consider the area of grass you are trying to cut. My best advice is to buy the size that will fit through the smallest areas that you are trying to cut.
Throughout this guide we will help you determine the best zero turn mower for the money. You may not need the most expensive zero turn mower but it is important to select the zero turn mower that will match your needs. Check out the top rated zero turn mowers.
Top 10 Zero Turn Mowers
The Best Zero Turn Lawn Mower: Husqvarna MZ61
The Husqvarna MZ61 is an impressive zero turn mower that won’t disappoint! There are a huge range of Husqvarna zero turn mowers but this is the mower with the best motor that will last you for years.
- 61 Inch blade
- 24 HP Kawasaki engine
- 770 lbs in weight
- Roll Over Protection System
Whilst the Husqvarna Zero Turn Mower isn’t the cheapest on the market, it will be money well spent. Built to last, this will keep cutting your grass for many years to come
- Comfortable ride with padded seat and durable wheels
- Large cutting deck made with fabricated 11-gauge steel
- Price is on the expensive side
- Getting it out of the crate when the mower arrives can be difficult
The ultimate gardener with a large yard or acreage that wants the best zero turn lawn mower they can find. This is definitely a great choice and the best zero turn mower for 2020.
Runner Up Best Lawn Mowers Zero Turn: Toro Zero Turn Mower 42 in. with Smart Speed
Toro Zero Turn mowers regularly rate in the top rated zero turn mowers list. The Timecutter SS4225 has fantastic features and I include it amongst the best rated zero turn mowers. Toro 42 inch Zero Turn has some fantastic features but I particular like the smart speed option allowing great control when cutting grass.
- Zero Turn Toro features a Smart Speed® Control System. This is a 3 ground speed range giving greater control when cutting grass
- Engine Toro Commercial V-Twin 22.5 HP/708cc
- Toro Timecutter SS4225 has a 42 in. mowing deck
- Toro Mowers Zero Turn 42” has a 3 gallon fuel tank
Toro Timecutter 42 represents great value for all the extra features this zero turn mower has. It is built for comfort an extra tall 18” seat but also features heavy gauge steel in the mowers build
- Speed and maneuverability control is top notch
- Hitch kit comes standard
- 3 year limited warranty
- Price of Toro Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- The exhaust may burn the lawn when the mower stops for a period of time
- Adjustment may be needed on the deck linkage for improved performance
For the gardener that needs to mow through small spaces but still have a large enough deck to mow 1 acre easily. Zero Turn Mowers Toro 42” is a great choice.
Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower: Swisher Big Mow 66
There are a great range of commercial lawn mowers on the market but the Swisher zero turn mowers come out on top. The Swisher 66 zero turn mower has a large cutting deck with a powerful Kawasaki engine. If you are searching through the best commercial zero turn mowers, Swisher Big Mow 66 is the top rated commercial zero turn mowers.
- 66 in cutting deck
- Engine type Kawasaki FX921V 31 HP / 999cc
- Weighs 1380 lbs
- Max speed 10mph
- Duel LED headlights
- Electric tilt up deck for easy maintenance
It may seem like a large money investment for a commercial riding lawn mower but there is a reason this is the best commercial mower on the market. Swisher have great service and use high quality parts
- A fast mower with all the features expected of the most expensive zero turn mower
- Efficient cutting of long grass
- Fully adjustable high back suspension seat
- Large cutting deck
- The Swisher zero turn lawn mower cannot be shipped to California as it’s not CARB compliant
A business or landscape gardener that is wanting to find the best commercial lawn mower. A great investment that will pay itself off in no time and you will find many positive Swisher zero turn reviews.
Best Residential Zero Turn Mower: Snapper 360z Zero Turn Mower
I often get asked what is best zero turn mowers for residential use? To me this comes down to 2 things, price and features. The best residential zero turn lawn mower is the Snapper Zero Turn 360Z as it comes with everything a gardener could want to mow their lawn. Residential zero turn mowers need to be reliable but not too expensive, the Snapper ticks both boxes.
- Snapper Zero Turn mower has a heavy-duty 42” mowing deck
- Briggs & Stratton engine
This Snapper lawn mower offers great value for money and Snapper Zero Turn mower reviews back this up
- Reliability on residential lawns making it one of the top rated residential zero turn mowers
- Well priced for a residential zero turn mower
- A bagger can be attached to the Snapper Zero Turn Lawn Mower
- Some Snapper 360z reviews note carburetor trouble
The serious gardener that needs a reliable zero turn mower. You can’t go wrong with this best zero turn mower for residential use.
Best Zero Turn Mower for Hills: Simplicity Contender XT Mower
If you have hills on your land you will be searching for the best zero turn mowers for hills. It is important to know that any lawn mower for hills may not be suited on the steepest hills. You may need to look for other options to mow your grass safely. For gentle gradient hills around 15-20 degrees the best lawn mower for hills is the Simplicity Contender. The roll bar gives extra protection for any incidents and it is a rugged unit.
- Comes with 3 deck sizes 48”, 52”, 61”
- Briggs & Stratton engine
- Durable Hydro-Gear Trans Axles
This Simplicity mower is built to last and work through all different conditions including being the best zero turn mower on hills, money well spent
- Hard working with roll bar for added safety
- Mower deck is made from heavy duty 10-gauge steel with reinforced sides
- Superior suspension for a comfortable ride
- Price of Simplicity zero turn is on the higher side
The home owner that has hills or harder areas to mow on their property. Simplicity zero turn mowers are a great product to choose.
Best Electric Zero Turn Mower: Ryobi Electric Lawn Mower RY48ZTR100 Zero Turn
Conscious about the environment and wanting to find an electric lawn mower? There is only a selected amount of electric zero turn mowers but the Ryobi electric zero turn mower is the best choice. The Ryobi Zero Turn Electric Mower is full of features including zero emissions, low maintenance and superb cutting power.
- Ryobi electric mower has a durable 42 in. steel deck
- 12 position manual deck adjustment
- Charges through standard 120-Volt outlet
- Powered by 100 Ah batteries and four high-powered brush less motors
The technology available on the Ryobi Electric Mower is forward thinking and even though this is an expensive mower, using no gas to power it is a saving for years to come
- Ryobi Zero Turn Mower can cut up to 3 acres on a single charge
- Zero carbon emissions and very quiet
- No belts, spark plugs or filters to maintain
- Limited range of zero turn electric mowers to choose from
The gardener that wants to make an environmentally friendly decision about the zero turn mower they choose. With all the features the Ryobi mower has makes it the best electric lawn mower
Best Zero Turn for the Money: Troy-Bilt Mustang Fit 34
If you are on a budget but don’t want to go the cheapest zero turn mower, check out the Troy Bilt Mower as it represents the best riding lawn mower for the money. It is easy to use, made of high quality products and will fit in any yard. You can’t go wrong with this best zero turn for the money.
- 452cc Troy-Bilt Engine
- Weighs 616 pounds
- 1.2 gallon fuel capacity
This Troy Bilt Zero Turn Mower represents great value for money and is the best value zero turn mower on the market
- Best riding mower for the money
- Fits easily through standard 36” gates
- Not suited to large areas of mowing
The gardener that is searching for the best riding lawn mower for the money. They are also wanting a zero turn mower that will easily fit through smaller gaps between trees and plants.
Best Small Zero Turn Mower: Ariens Zero Turn Mower Edge 34 inch
If you are in the market for small zero turn mowers I have found the best one for the job. The Ariens Zero Turn Lawn Mower is one of the smallest zero turn mower you can find and you will find it perfect for small spaces.
- 660cc Kohler® 6000 Series engine
- 34” inch stamped cutting deck
- 12 gauge steel used in the construction of the deck
- 6 mph forward ground speed
- 2 gal fuel capacity
- 464.00 lb weight
It features a powerful motor and a compact mowing deck making it one of the best small zero turn lawn mowers.
- A compact mower that cuts grass extremely well
- Intuitive controls
- Pricey for the size of the cutting width
The gardener searching for the best zero turn mower for small yards.
Best Zero Turn Mower Under 3000: Husqvarna Z142 Zero Turn Riding Mower
The Husqvarna Z142 represents great value for money and is the best zero turn mower under $3000. The Kohler engine is powerful and the 42 inch cutting deck makes for excellent value.
- Maximum speed of 6.5MPH
- 42” reinforced steel stamped cutting deck
- 17 HP Kohler engine
There are a range of best zero turn mowers under 3000 but Husqvarna comes out on top as the engine is superior and built for long lasting performance
- Excellent value for money
- Warranty for 3 years
- Only comes in the 42” cutting deck that may be too big for some gardeners
For the gardener looking for the best zero turn under 3000. The Husqvarna Zero Turn Mower has a great range of features that you won’t be disappointed with
Cheap Zero Turn Mowers: Mowox Mowers Zero Turn
If you are in the market for the cheapest zero turn mowers then the Mowox is a good choice. This is not a ride on mower but tops my list for cheap zero turn lawn mowers. The best affordable zero turn mower comes with a range of positives as well as negatives for you to consider.
- 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine
- Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Reliable Lithium-ion battery for easy starting
- Charges fully in one hour
Represents incredible value and is great for smaller yard. Push button start is a bonus
- Low price
- Easy to start
- Reliability is questionable at times
- Not a true zero turn mower
The budget gardener that needs the best cheap zero turn mowers. If you don’t have a huge amount of money to spend but still want to take advantage of zero turn technology, this is a great choice
There are a huge range of zero turn mowers on the market and I hope this guide helps you decide what is the best zero turn lawn mower to buy for your circumstances. Coming soon is our guide on the best self propelled lawn mower if you need a simple mower for a smaller area to cut. During the summer months you will need the best lawn sprinkler for your grass so check out my blog post here.